Wednesday, January 1, 2014


**If you ever knew my dad, (or ME  ) you might appreciate this... a modern day fairy tale with a very happy ending:

Once upon a time... (Fairy tale element #1)



**okay, wait... wait. I need to back up a bit to let you in on a little background information first...**

I've seen before where people name inanimate objects, such as cars and cameras and up until today, I didn't quite understand the reasoning behind that. Now I do... you see Rico was my dad's camera. This camera came out in 1985 and I'm quite certain my dad got it shortly after that. 

Dad's vintage Ricoh KR-30SP

He captured the world with this fella... right in his own backyard. He never went far, but he was always finding beauty right where is heart was... and that was at home. When my dad passed away, nobody seemed to be interested in having this old camera, mostly because it's not digital and it shot film-- and I mean... nobody shoots 33mm FILM THESE DAYS, right?? 

Today, I held my dad's old camera in my hands for the very first time. Everything about it is dated... especially the embroidered strap that I remember so well, hanging around my dad's neck. And then I saw it... there was still A ROLL OF FILM INSIDE!! So with little or no effort, I snapped the final 8 pictures on the roll, downloaded a complete owner's manual on PDF off of the internet, opened up the back hatch and carefully removed the film canister. (enter element #2 of Fairy tale here... *magic moments*) Just then, something almost magical happened in my heart... it was as if every ounce of creativity that I've been blessed to have inherited from my dad suddenly rushed over me. All these "gifts" of creativity and the eye for the unusual and unexpected wherever I may be... came from my dad! I've always know that in my head... but tonight, that stamp of influence seemed to be written all over the blueprint of my heart. 

For 3 years, this vintage old camera just sat... in a drawer... in the dark. Unwanted and untouched. Until just a few days ago, when I had this terrible urge to mention to my mom that I would like to have my dad's camera. Not for any other reason but that for the past year, I have fallen in love with my new Canon camera that my hubby and son got me for Christmas last year And and for some reason, having dad's camera in my office, near my computer where I upload and edit photos seemed like an important request to make.

He too, held this camera in his gentle, calloused, hardworking hands. Likewise, his strikingly ice-blue eyes squinted through the same viewfinder that I did tonight as he captured unexpected glimpses of God's creation everywhere he went.

And right then... I knew what I had to do.
Give.this.camera.a.name.
Not just any name... after 30 years of being loved and treasured, and then 3 years sitting in a dark closet with not insomuch as a look or a nod, the KR-30sp (<<enter Fairy Tale element #3 ~ the number THREE!) beckoned to be christened with a name that would signify it's uniqueness... I wanted to find a name that, every time I said it or whispered it to myself, would make ME smile, as I remember and cherish and follow in my dad's unique thumbprint on life... 

And so... Monsieur Rico~Swave' was brought out of the land of darkness and infused with new life. After a brief search for the meaning of names and definitions of Rico+Swave' I discovered some uncanny resemblances between this newly discovered name and my dad! And myself.

First, I looked up the definition of Swave': 
1. Swave': amazing and cool.
2. Swave': A word derived from the word Swavor which is a combination of swagger and flavor.
3. Swave': the aura that a person radiates from within. A level above Swag or swagger.


Next I looked up the meaning of the name Rico and I couldn't BELIEVE what I found:
Rico: idealistic and generous, with the strong desire to uplift humanity leading you into situations where you can express your desire to serve others. You want to assume responsibilities and to look after people; however, you can become too involved in other people's problems and tend to worry. Your name gives you a natural desire to express along artistic and musical lines. You desire a settled home and family life, and are expressive and attentive to your loved ones. If you attach an ideal of service to your life, you could find great happiness and could express a very beautiful, happy, responsible, artistic, and generous nature. The weakness of this name is in worry, which in turn affects the nervous system, creating a tendency to be highly strung or over-sensitive to the thoughts of others.
That's IT!! Rico is undeniably the PERFECT name for this vintage old chap!! And so... I decided that the only fitting thing to do for a character camera so full of significance for propelling me forward into a brand new year as I pray for fresh opportunities to unleashing my own creativity and dreams--- is to give Monsieur Rico a PHOTO SHOOT of himself!! ((enter stage-left, the writer's craft of personification))

And that's how this happened... 

Using the "negative" effect on my tablet, I took alternating photos of Rico both in regular and inside-out perspectives. What emerged was almost magical, as depending on which vantage point is taken, a whole new image is revealed!

So it is with me... 

2014 shall be dubbed the year of "turning my dreams inside-out" ~ old dreams taken out, dusted off, given new names and assigned a fresh new purpose. Permission granted to move forward without hesitation, to pursue that which revives my spirit... my soul... my passions. Because God sees in me, that which I haven't yet given myself permission to see myself. Revelation 21:5 says, “See, I am making all things new!” And then he said to me, “Write it all down down, for what I tell you is trustworthy and true." 

For those who have known me for quite some time, you know that there is a book that is waiting to be written. You also know that there have been many things that have prevented me from writing it. This year, I'm stepping out of my uncomfortable comfort zone (which I've discovered that I'm growing out of rather quickly!) and making whatever changes in my life that are necessary to make get it written in 2014. There. I said it... and I mean that with all my heart. I've left my dream in a dark drawer for far.too.long. This old camera seems to be just what the doctor ordered to kick this case of melancholy and revv up my heart's desire! 


"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."


~ Matthew 6:21 

Who would have ever thought... that a dusty old camera could infuse such incredible JOY and so much LIFE to my wadded up dreams and dehydrated hope. WELCOME TWO-THOUSAND FOURTEEN!! I've been waiting for you for so long!!

*And They Lived Everly Happy After! (Fairy Tale element #4)... a little "bassackwards" as my dad always said!  but true nonetheless!

2 comments:

  1. You do have a swagger about you. :) Welcome to 2014 Rico

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoL! Rico say, "Thanks, Renae!"

    ReplyDelete